The ‘Universal Design research and academic service
Participants: Students and faculty in IND 2102 Human Factors class. Interior Design Program.
Venue: Foundation of Disabilities Children
Date: Academic Year 2016, Oct 1st 2016 – March 24th 2017.
Status : 95% done (updating document and upload to Foundation of Disabilities website)
Design Program : 4 challenging design tasks ( 4 student groups)
1. A productive tray: for improve live standard for children with SMA (State 2)
2. A bath chair : for improve live standard for children with SMA (State 4)
3. A slider : for improve children with SMA’ movement and practice body strength
4. A gymnastic ring : for improve children with SMA’ movement and practice body strength
- Student gained knowledge of Universal Design in many aspects.
- Students had broad understanding on children with SMA( Spinal Muscular Atrophy type I-VI) , their symptom and living limitation as well as design challenge
- Student increase their service mindset and participation to society as design challenge. Student gained knowledge of Universal Design in many aspects. Students had broad understanding on children with SMA( Spinal Muscular Atrophy type I-VI) , their symptom and living limitation as well as design challenge
- Student to create efficient four types of UD design equipment for disable children in the foundation to improve children living standard.
- Student to create a brochure as as-built equipment guideline for public.
KM Strategy 1: Improve AAU undergraduate students by providing intensive learning through using practical methods and integrating with teaching and learning especially in enhancing presentation skills, which is necessary in architecture and design discipline.
The program included with three phases;
Phase # 1 : Participatory research phase with parents and expert teacher.
Students and all participants have exchanged and developed their design knowledge, skills, and experiences on many key discussion issues. Initiate project from UD needs and immerse to learning by research from real case at Foundation of Children with Disabilities.
Measure 1: Students acquire all basis behavior and problems from each case study individually.
Student understand human body character and movement and limitation of each case study.
The special lecture on “SMA” children from Foundation expert about SMA symptom and its characters at the foundation.
Phase # 2 : Design phase
Expert teacher and parents gave objective and requirement for student to design an efficient equipment or furniture to solve problem in each case study individually.
Measure 2: The discussion on UD design challenge along 4 weeks period process bring up new efficient design equipment or furniture work as prototype for public. All design has been tested by children and revised to fit user’s objective.
Phase # 3 : Design for as-built guideline brochure
This as-built guideline brochure will be provided on the foundation’s website for parent who are interested on the equipment can re-built it by using the information provided.
Measure 3: Design a suitable as-built brochure for website for public announcement .
In summary, student in this class has acknowledged on universal design aspects and how to apply design work to increase living standard for specific user “children with SMA symptom”. All participants; students, lecturer, children with SMA symptom, parents, caretaker, teacher, social service officer and the foundation staff have exchanged and developed their design knowledge, skills, and experiences on the key discussion issues. Last, the brochures will be posted on the foundation website to promote to public as guideline for parents, caretaker and anyone who are interested.